Saturday, May 22, 2010

Frankenstein's Bass! Part One


Hot damn! A post with a work actually in progress.

This is a Peavey Patriot bass or the clean picked carcass of one. I haven't looked up the serial number over at the Peavey forum to tell where it was build and when, but... does it matter? When I got this poor girl she had been thoroughly cleaned of all hardware except three old tuning machines and the frets which look pretty flattened to my untrained eye. No bridge, nut, string tree, truss rod cover, pick guard, electronics, strap buttons, screws, neck joint plate, even the microtilt (I believe is the name) "coin" (if you have ever broken one of these older Peaveys down then you'll know what I'm talking about). Correct me, please. All this was done to refinish the body, I gather.
Okay, so we have some potential here. Being the Peavey fan I am, I may be giving it more credit than its due, but I like the body shape and I had the parts from another project and the mysterious fourth bass I own, but haven't posted about yet due to it general unplayability.

There she is, my firs bass, a 1985 Peavey T-40. Kept in a closet like a bad child for many years with string tension ruined the curvature of her neck beyond my ability or pocketbook to fix. If you look closely, you might be able to see the second defret job I have ever done. Its pretty nice and would play well minus the wicked s-curve. Oh well, she may just be destined for her own resurrection some time in the future, but for now she is an organ donor.

Side by side. I wished I had a pair of old wooden rack looking tables, kinda Frankenstein's monster fantasy. I'll refrain from any declarations of living. Maybe. The bridge I used is a cheap jazz style thing that isn't much different fron the original bridge it came with. The tuning machines, string tree, nut, strings and neck plate were transferred over and tuned up. It's very important you don't take the action you get immediately to be the action you are going to end up with tomorrow. The wood needs time to adjust naturally. At this point, I have decided it to be worth the time and effort to tinker with luckily.
Here's a picture of what I assumed it originally resembled before its gutting.

Well, except mine was obviously black. I have a lot of ideas for the job, but have run low on the necessary parts for its fruition. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me