Sunday, February 21, 2010

Peavey Cirrus


This is my baby, a Peavey Cirrus 4 banger. Oh yeah, shes too good for me, but I found her on sale for $900... I know... financial fail.
But she's so sexy! Claro walnut top, walnut maple through neck thin as a razor's edge, the lowest action I have ever encountered in my life as a guitar shop dreamer, gold blingin bridge and tuning machines...Goddamn, I need cold shower!
Seriously though, she's beautiful in form and function. The steel Peavey strings she came with were enough to make me fall in love, but Dean Markely's Blue Steel complements her perfectly to my ear. Got to find those expensive bastards on sale, but they so worth it. I have been experimenting with tap since its almost as if they took that playing style into consideration when they made her. If I can do it and not get frustrated within minutes (like with picks, damned things) then you know its set up preternaturally well.
This is an early model, without the mid sweep pot found on later models. Never got the chance to play with one of those so I don't know what I'm missin' and that's just fine by me and my wallet. Also, mine has a natural headstock finish while later ones have this weird graphite weave stuff I don't care for. The tone is strong and...complex, I think is the right word. This may just be the way active electronics sound, but its gorgeous to me, full and tight and dead silent when it should be.

I've not modded this lady...yet, though I don't know what I would do if I was. Perhaps a mid sweep pot. I don't know if that requires a new preamp or what. Regardless, I'm happy with her the way she is. The next post will have some modwork, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me